SAPS = South African Police Service
To download the SAP520 click >>
There are company's and individuals offering a
importation service at a fee. It is not necessary, if
you follow these easy steps it will save you money.
By law no automatic or semi-automatic rifles are allowed
for hunting. Firearm permits are issued by the SAPS on
your arrival at OR Tambo (Johannesburg) International
Airport. USA citizens must have a completed United
States custom form number 4457 on arrival. When applying
for this take your rifle with you for verification.
Please bring a proof of ownership with you for the SAPS.
Steps to be followed
1. Obtain and Complete a SAPS520 form by clicking on
the link above.
- Complete in black ink
- Do NOT sign. (To be signed on arrival)
- Complete Sections
2. Obtain an US customs form 4457
- Remember to take your rifle with you for inspection.
3. Obtain a letter of Invitation
- supplied by your outfitter (We will supply it to you
via e-mail correspondence)
4. Letter from your local police to proof your
ownership of your rifle.
5. Make copies of all the documents and have them put
away in your hand luggage together with your plane
ticket and passport on arrival.
South African professional hunters mainly use shooting
sticks as the grass are normally to high for bi-pods. We
recommend that you practice form shooting sticks in a
standing position. You will do most of your shooting in
this way. Shooting distances vary from 30 yards.
For your comfort we have hunting rifles available.
Ammunition can be bought local.
For the conditions you will be hunting with a good
telescope with a 4X - 6X which will be adequate.